Position: Senior Chemist (Full-Time)
Location: Montreal, Canada
CarbiCrete is a Montreal-based carbon removal technology company whose patented technology enables the production of cement-free, carbon-negative concrete.
The process replaces cement with steel slag, an industrial by-product, avoiding the emissions that are associated with cement production, while also trapping CO2 inside the concrete permanently.
CarbiCrete solves three problems while producing a valuable construction product: it permanently removes CO2, eliminates the need for cement and makes use of industrial waste.
CarbiCrete is licensing its technology to precast concrete makers and selling the carbon credits generated by its fully carbon-negative process. The company’s mission is 1 GT of carbon-negative concrete per year by 2030.
- Initiate design and characterization of CO2-cured concrete
- Investigate new ideas for mineralization
- Help optimize CarbiCrete’s patented curing process
- Analyze and interpret data to develop new hypotheses
- Perform literature and patent searches
- Conduct formulation development work in the R&D lab
- Conduct product and process analyses (in coordination with R&D) and synthesize complex technical information into meaningful conclusions
- Collaborate with external laboratories to assist research and development efforts
- Conduct research on new sustainable construction materials
- Prepare reports and proposals
- Perform testing, analyze and interpret the results
- Review patents, reports and research papers
- Master’s or PhD in chemistry
- Minimum of 10 years in research
- Experience with analytic equipment and methods such as DSC, HPLC, FTIR, UV-V
- Experience with gas chromatography
- Experience with concrete materials
- Industrial experience with material chemistry, ideally concrete and cement chemistry
- Knowledge of mineralogy, crystallography, chemical bonding and reactions of cement and cementitious material would be an asset
- Sound knowledge of thermodynamics and chemical kinetics
- Experience in chemical dissolution/precipitation, solid micro-structure analysis and carbonation chemistry
- Knowledge of material chemistry such as chemical, physical, and mechanical
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to prioritize and ability to work both independently and in a team setting, remaining responsive to both project and team needs
- Proficiency in report writing, reviewing, and interpretation of results
To apply for this position, send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org